Well another patch cycle is upon us. I left it pretty late this time (shame on me!) mostly because I was hoping for some sort of better idea of what the EH requirements will be like in Dragon Soul. I made a fairly reliable estimate based on previous patches, and we’ll see how accurate it is. Remember that I don’t raid until Thursdays, so I don’t want to hear any complaining if I suddenly change something between now and then.
And lets be honest, one lost raid week isn’t the end of the world and you’re probably better off anyway since Mists is a longggggggg way away.
120% Armor Bonus for Bear form is now available at all levels, not just after level 40.
This was done to help out low level Bear tanks and their inherent squishiness. It’ll have a side effect of making Feral even more broken and overpowered in low level BGs, but nobody claimed the brackets before max level were balanced. Good change overall though.
Bear Form Bonus Stamina increased to 20% from 10%.
The stated reason for doing this is to help keep us in line with block-capping shield tanks. I’d go on a diatribe about how we predicted this back before Cataclysm even launched, but I think that’s old news at this point. At any rate it’s not so much a good change as a bandaid. However the hope is that “Mists will fix it.”
Bears and LFR
I had previously stated on twitter that LFR was largely going to be a waste of time for Bears outside of tokens, since we pretty much couldn’t roll on anything. Thankfully after an empassioned plea to Bashiok the developers added some “special Bear rules” to prevent us from being completely screwed. Which means now going to LFR to get gear as a Bear is a good idea, especially for Normal Mode raiders.
Notes for Normal Mode Raiding
These notes are entirely based on simulations of 215k unmitigated damage. There are some things I still want to look at (such as weapon and trinket comparisons), but I can’t do that without more raw data.
- Get Kiril, Wrath of Unchaining, Resolve of Undying and 2pc T13 bonus ASAP. Even the LFR versions.
- You’ll have to farm a lot of VP in order to get all of your offset items :(
- You’re going to be over the Exp softcap on normal mode unless you use offset pieces.
- I’d honestly probably use the offset pants instead of the tier pants unless your raid needs the cooldown. They’re a lot better.
- The 403 PvP sets are perfectly viable until you get normal mode or higher PvE gear. 2pc is Gloves+Hat. 4pc is Gloves+Hat+Shoulders+Legs.
- If you’re the first tank for your guild, you should be reforging to Dodge. If you’re going to be using Cat form often (say as the 2nd tank), then you can use Exp/Crit/Mastery.
You can expect more information in the future as we get more and more accurate results from live servers.